Thursday, November 1, 2007

Transcript of my speech from Michelle's Birthday Memorial Service in February


Over the past few weeks I've tried to sit down and write out what I wanted to say tonight, but every time I tried I would get too upset and just start crying instead. But in between all that crying I would also start laughing at all the funny memories I have of Michelle.

I'm an only child so growing up Michelle & Meredith were like my sisters - so the majority of my childhood memories involve them.

When I think of Michelle, I think of the 500 times we made our parents take us to Blockbuster to rent Michael Jackson's Thriller.

I think of the Christmas where Michelle & Dennis broke the news to me about Santa Claus and then laughed at me for the rest of the day for not believing them.

I think of the time when Michelle, Meredith and I were all crammed into the trunk of a hatchback for the ride down to Myrtle Beach for one of our many family vacations.

But my most vivid childhood memory of Michelle was the time that she tied my hair to the railing of her staircase and then stood there spraying me with hairspray. I KNOW that I must have done something pretty bad to deserve it - but of course all that I remember now is my punishment.

I have wonderful memories of Michelle from high school and college, and I'll never forget the first time I heard that new southern accent! Michelle was so fantastic and supportive of me throughout my pregnancy and when my daughter was born - she was always there to listen or offer help & advice.

I have a lifetime of wonderful memories of Michelle and I still just can't believe that we won't be able to make any new ones.

I still have her phone number saved in my cell phone and her email address in my address book - and I don't think that I'll ever be able to remove them.

Michelle I miss you and I love you.

2 comments:

anonymous said...

Statia, thanks so much for sharing these lovely memories of Michelle with those of us who never had the chance to know her. It's clear that she was greatly loved by so many people, and that she will be missed and remembered forever.

Sami said...

Dear Statia,

I will be thinking of you all this weekend and sending prayers of comfort and strength.

May God bless you, Linda, Meredith and Fisher family and all of Michelle's friends.

Love
Sami
xxx